March 10, 2016
Michael Pleban, David Riedel, Ferenc Gy. Roka, Marybeth Clune, Bill Clune, John Derimiggio, Tom McCarthy, Greg Young, Tom Mullaney, Dennis R Jurus, Jim Goggins, Linda Newman, Nat Kinsey, Chris Conley, Evan Brown, Steve Rea, Jack Schading, and Jimmy Lohgobardi
Tom McCarthy calls the meeting to order at 7pm and makes sure that everyone received a raffle ticket and signed in.
Report of the officers:
Tom McCarty had one thing to bring up that is the clubs section and the states of it. Tom McCarthy talked to Jim Goggins and Jim stated that the paper work has already been submitted and accepted and the information is current on the website as Tom McCarthy is the president of MARS and MaryBeth Clune is listed as the NYPOWER director also on the NAR’S website. Jim Goggins informed everyone that we are sectioned until January 1, 2017, Jim stated that NAR has started something new this year that all paperwork ends and begins on the first of the year. Next year’s paper work will be sent to Tom McCarthy to submit .You are now able to renew for sanction on line which is quicker can be done in November or December. It will need to be done before the first of the year due to the clubs annually New Year’s Day launch. Tom McCarthy will get a reminder from NAR for renewing towards the end of the year.
Tom McCarthy ask Greg Young to share some information with the club on his personal experience with not having directors insurance and getting sued. It was thought that the club had 2 million dollars in coverage through NAR. Jim Goggins informed everyone at the meeting that is 5 million in coverage by NAR. Bill Clune asked Jim Goggins if he knew if it covered the cost of lawyers, Jim stated it covers everything. Bill Clune asked if it covers the directors lawyer fees if the directors are personally sued, Jim Goggins stated he had no idea. Greg Young shared what he could with the club that he was involved in that was a 501c7 not a 501c3. Greg Young shared some research that he did with everyone from three areas a Federal site that went through different types of corporations, NY BAR association and a Power point presentation and sent it to the MARS BoD. John Derimiggio added some information that the board would have to have been negligent in order to be sued. The club would need to purchase Errors and Omissions insurance for the BoD. John felt it couldn’t hurt to get a quote for the insurance.
Linda Newman shared information with Tom McCarthy and Tom passed that information on at the meeting, non for profit in NY State once a club is incorporated, members, officers and others associated with the club usually don’t get sued. The key word is usually. Evan Brown suggested checking with First Niagara for insurance cost. The cost is the issue Tom McCarthy is going to investigate and let the Bod know of his findings.
Tom McCarthy asked Linda Newman who then turned over to Nat Kinsey what our projected income might be from membership last year there were 75 total members 55 high power and 20 low power. This is roughly two thousand dollars from membership.
Tom McCarthy asked the committees before the meeting to come up with a rough estimate for the budgets this year.
Financial report was given by Linda Newman $2300 was transferred from the Paypal account into the Key Bank account; $80 check was sent to the porta potty company (pending) for the New Year’s Day launch, which gives us a grand total of $12,459.42 in the Key Bank account, and $350 in Paypal. There is still a problem with getting the correct names on and off the account, and it’s being worked on.
Tom McCarthy asked MaryBeth Clune if there were any corrections needed. Tom McCarthy made a motion to except the meeting minutes from the last meeting Greg Young seconds it motion passed. Tom McCarthy asked MaryBeth Clune to lock the meeting minutes in the MARS forum in the water cooler section.
Tom McCarthy asked that John Derimiggio and David Riedel to demonstrate and explan the upgrades and modifications to the sector boxes at this time. John and David did a very detailed demonstration of the options and the upgrades to the current launch system. David and John went through and showed the changes that are happening and how the upgrades work. John at this point feels that he will come in under budget for the modifications and will be able to be completed before NYPOWER. John and Dave also shared any option to the members to put the components of the pad boxes in a central cluster box to eliminate the need of individual pad boxes for each pad. John and Dave feel that they are more than capable to do these modifications also in time for NYPOWER. John said he will have a proposed cost on this in a few days. Many members were happy with the modifications and the proposed modifications. Tom McCarthy stated the grant money that is given by NAR for safety could be used towards the modifications proposed. That amount from NAR would be $250 used towards the launch system upgrades.
Tom McCarthy asked for updates and budget information from the committees
- BFR Committee- Jim Goggins no budget is needed at this time. No BFR’s have been submitted at this time. Jim Goggins stated that John Derimiggio, himself and Tom Cohen will take care of the BFR’s at NYPOWER.
- Outreach Committee – Evan Brown asked for $250 at this time to purchase easels for displays at outreach events. Tom McCarthy made a motion and Greg Young seconded it, motion passed.
- Evan updated the club about the event that was to happen in Dansville and there was a misunderstanding they thought the club would pay for the kits and supplies.
- Tom McCarthy talked with the woman named Brandy and she said that there budget was spent for the year and will contact us next year to work with her.
- Jim Goggins stated that there are some posters that can be used for display purposes that were donated by the estate of Merrell Lane.
- Strong Museum wanted MARS to be on hand for 8 weekends in arrow this summer for outreach or display items it was decided against both.
Equipment and Capital Expense Committee:
- Nat Kinsey stated replacement T’s(stand offs) is about $40, purchasing of air horns, batteries for radios, little white flags to make where the wires are in the grass need to purchased.
- Nat feels we should get 8 foot rails instead of 10 foot the 10 foot rails tend to bend. The estimate is between $192-$265 at this time. Tom McCarthy feels that $265 is a reasonable price for those purchases Greg Young makes a motion Tom McCarthy seconds it motion passes.
- $80 cost is incurred at each launch for porta potties but is more for NYPOWER around $720 a year.
Launch Operations Committee:
- Jim Goggins sent the proposal to the BoD and Tom McCarthy stated that MaryBeth Clune had a breakdown of last year flights, and that the number of pads at each distance may need to be modified based on those numbers for the NYPOWER.
- Jim Goggins stated that in the end it’s up to the BoD on the distances of the pads, it was just a recommendation. Jim Goggins stated that the club could go to the NAR safety distances plus 10% if the BoD wanted.
- John Derimiggio made a suggestion to put all the low power pads at 35 feet. Greg young made a motion to table this discussion at this point to review it some more Evan Brown seconds it motion passes. Evan Brown is willing to build a mini rail pad for the club.
- Nat Kinsey about 100 membership cards have been printed already membership cards were handed out for any member that has renewed this year that was at the meeting.
- Blank cards on the high side would $50 for 500; no need to purchase a print cartage this year, postage would be $38-$40. Cost per card is less than a $1.00 the highest cost of the card is the postage.
- Nat states membership budget this year would be $100. Tom McCarthy makes a motion for the budget and Greg Young seconds it. Motion passes.
- MaryBeth Clune asked for a budget of $1000, porta potties around $240 (which falls under equipment committee), no cost for advertising this year’s ad has already been sent to Rockets Magazine.
- T-shirts do not have to be paid for up front.
- Currently we have 22 registered flyers, 15 t-shirts and 2 raffle tickets sold.
- Mary Beth Clune asked Jim Goggins if he had a list yet for the auction, Jim stated that he would get us a list shortly.
- Mary Beth Clune asked Tom McCarthy to ask if the Memphis Bell will be at the museum during NYPOWER, Tom will check into that.
- The gentleman from Ohio is still coming to build and fly with kiddos.
- Tom McCarthy makes a motion for the $1000 budget at this time for NYPOWER, Linda Newman seconds it motion passes.
- Greg Young brought up that NYPOWER needs to be talked up on the forums and Facebook. Need to get the word out there.
Tom McCarthy calls the meeting adjourned, Greg Young seconds it. Motion passes
Tom McCarthy asks for show and tell items.
Evan Brown showed off an Estes Solar Warrior kit, and shared he’s plains for a night launch rocket.
Bill and MaryBeth Clune shared a few of their parts of their L3 rocket. They brought a nose cone and fin, which is a black brant. Bill Clune brought a jar of Chopped basalt glass also.
Tom McCarthy picked a Black Brant II for a raffle from the estate of Merrell Lane and MaryBeth Clune wins it.